Yucatan Beef Pie
- Full-page view
- 2 lbs. ripe sweet plantains, peeled, cut into chunks, cooked, drained and mashed
- 3 Tbsp. Butter divided
- 1/4 cup skim milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 cups Ragu® Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine hot plantains, 2 tablespoons butter, milk and 1/4 cup cheese in medium bowl; set aside and keep warm.
- Brown ground beef in 12-inch nonstick skillet; drain. Remove ground beef from skillet and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium heat and cook onion and carrots, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Return ground beef to skillet. Stir in corn, Sauce and lime juice and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Evenly spoon ground beef mixture into 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Top with plantain mixture, then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
TIP: Try using 1 bag (16 oz.) thawed frozen mixed vegetables instead of carrots, zucchini and corn!
Cost per recipe*: $11.54. Cost per serving*: $1.44. *Based on average retail prices at national supermarkets.