- 1 1/2 -lb. flank steak
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (1 lb. 8 oz.) Ragu® Sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth or water
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Season steak, if desired, with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in 6-quart saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown steak with green pepper.
- Stir in Sauce, broth, green chilies and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 1 hour or until meat is fork-tender.
- Remove meat from sauce; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Return meat to sauce and heat through. Serve, if desired, over hot cooked rice.
TIP: Ropa vieja translates to old clothes, which the shredded meat in the recipe represents.
*Substitution: Use 5 large green chilies, seeded and chopped. Photo copyright 2006 Publications International, Ltd. Used with permission.