Chile Ancho-Braised Chicken & Pasta
- Full-page view
- 2 dried ancho chili peppers
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips (about 1-1/2 lbs.)
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jar (1 lb. 8 oz.) Ragu® Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces fettuccine, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Toast chili peppers in dry, deep large nonstick skillet over medium heat, pressing with spatula and turning occasionally, about 2 minutes; cool slightly. Remove stem and seeds.
- Pour boiling water over chili peppers, then cover and let stand 10 minutes. Remove chili peppers from water, reserving water. Process chili peppers in mini food processor until smooth, adding just enough water to liquify peppers; reserve.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat and brown chicken in batches. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil and cook zucchini, onion and carrots, stirring frequently, 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in Sauce, chili pepper mixture, chicken and chocolate chips. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve over hot fettuccine and garnish with cilantro.
Cost per recipe*: $9.20. Cost per serving*: $1.53. *Based on average retail prices at national supermarkets.